Boys: Argyle vs. Archbishop Macdonald (Alberta)

With a good Friday night crowd at Carson Graham, Argyle took on Archbishop Macdonald from Alberta. Both teams came out fast, looking to get up early. Number 9, Maximo, for Archbishop drained a long three to put them up 11-4 with 4 minutes to go in the first quarter. Argyle's #4 was very excited about his return drained three, clapping ecstatically afterwards, much to the dismay of Archbishop fans, including their girls team that was in attendance. At the end of the first quarter, Archbishop led 16-12. 

Archbishop came out with a full-court press. Argyle's twin towers, #10 and #12, worked well together, however #10 decided to camp out in the key a couple of times, which turned the ball over to Archbishop, who were not able to capitalize. An acrobatic layup from AM's #3, Royer, put Archbishop up by 7, their biggest lead of the game, with 4 minutes to go in the half. At one point Archbishop extended their lead to as much as 12 points, but Argyle's #5 made sure to close the gap as much as possible. Halftime Score: Archbishop Macdonald 32, Argyle 26. 

Archbishop started out again with their full-court press, causing Argyle to turn the ball over, which they then took advantage of. A drained two for #9 Maximo and a foul sent him to the line for the third point. Argyle would climb back into the game with 7 minutes to go thanks to a three from #4, bringing Argyle into the lead 40-39. Maximo would be charged with a flagrant foul, allowing Argyle to go up by 4. Too many missed baskets underneath for Archbishop allowed Argyle to stay in the lead until #12 Okeke came in and scored two baskets in a row to tie the game at 47 with 1 minute left in the third quarter. However, in that one minute, Argyle would score three times off of Archbishop turnovers, allowing them a lead of 6 at the end of the third quarter. 

Once again, Archbishop put their full-court press back on to try to close the gap on Argyle. It wasn't quite effective as Argyle stayed up by 13 with 8 minutes left in the game. Some careless mistakes by Archbishop kept them trailing all fourth quarter. Archbishop's #15 Piekema took a hard foul by Argyle's #6, who seemed to want to take things outside.A deep, late-in-the-shot-clock three by Argyle's #5 gave them their biggest lead of 14 with only two minutes to go. Once again, it looks like Argyle's #6 wants to take things outside as he has another encounter with another Archbishop player. Argyle takes this one 72-60. 

No Regrets.

Jamie Keast