Boys: Sturgeon Heights vs. Salmon Arm

The Sturgeon Heights Huskies appeared ready to go and just happy to be in a warm gym! However, the first point of the game came 2 minutes in from the Salmon Arm Golds off a well deserved free throw. Salmon Arm is at the ‘No Regrets’ Tournament for the third consecutive year. A turnover by Sturgeon, followed by a foul, saw the Golds head to the line again. Three minutes in the Manitobans had yet to score against a zone defence, but hit a trey shortly after, bringing the score to 7-3 for Salmon Arm whose first 5 points came from free throws as they continued to penetrate the man defence. Another deep trey from Sturgeon countered by two from the Golds, kept Salmon Arm’s lead up. 


Sturgeon scored two transition layups to bring them within one of Salmon Arm with two minutes to go in the first half, however the Golds went to the line once again. #16, Limber, drained a long ball for the Golds followed by another trey and at the end of the first quarter, Salmon Arm led 23-12. 


Both teams must have had strong pep talk at the quarter, as they came out even-keeled to start the second. Salmon Arm continued with their zone defence but Sturgeon’s #6, Sokoloski, shot around it, hitting a three with 7 minutes left in the half. 


#21 for the Golds, Jansen, planted himself under the hoop on defence, causing turnovers for the Huskies increasing Salmon Arm’s lead to 19 with 4 minutes to go in the half: Golds led 36-17.  The Huskies’ Sokoloski continued to drive to the hoop, however some careless turnovers by their team led to Golds #28 hitting a three and a few more free throws. At the half, Salmon Arm led 40-26. 

sturgeon salm arm.jpg


To start the second half, Salmon Arm continued with a zone defence, as it appeared to be too much for Sturgeon in the first half. After great movement by the Golds, Jansen down low received a beautiful pass for a lay-in, countered by a three by Sturgeon. Then the Golds went on a 17-5 run to open the half, and led 57-31 with 6 minutes to go in the third quarter. 


After a time out, Salmon Arm brought out the double-team on defence and continued their run as the Huskies of Winnipeg struggled on offence-but it wasn't for a lack of trying as they continued to drive the hoop. After hitting three treys, Salmon Arm’s run extended to 28-5. A few starters were subbed out for a tired and short-numbered Salmon Arm team-only 8 players appeared to dress. At the end of the third quarter, Salmon Arm was up 74-33. 


Limber for the Golds scored the first two of the fourth and continued to make a difference down low, not only scoring but rebounding as well. Salmon Arm never let up in the fourth quarter, and would take the game 91-51. 

Jamie Keast